Download our FREE smartphone app today!
See details of our 2019 exam results. The information below is for 2018 and will be updated shortly.
Staff and students at Harris Academy Bermondsey celebrated record GCSE results in 2018.
- We achieved a Progress 8 score of 0.91, which puts us in the top 3% of schools in England for pupil progress.
- Our Attainment 8 score was 53.3.
- 42% of students achieved a Level 5 or above in English and Maths.
- 49% of students achieved at the demanding English Baccalaureate with at least a grade 4, compared to 42% last summer. 100% of students entered the EBacc.
- Under the new system, passes are marked on a scale of Grade 9 (equivalent to an A**) to Grade 4 (equivalent to a C). 40% of girls achieved at least one of the top Grades 8 or 9. Over a quarter of students secured at least one Grade 9.
- 93% of students stayed in education or went into employment.
Lilly was among only a few students in the country to have achieved 8 or more of the new ‘super’ Grade 9s. Congratulations are also due Mistura, who achieved seven grade 9s. Mistura said: “I am overwhelmed. I exceeded my expectations of myself. Hard work pays off.”
Lilly added: “I am shocked and proud of my results. They mean I can go on to study the subjects I want to. I have achieved these results through lots of revision, resilience and not giving up.”
Naomi, who achieved three Grade 8s, one 7 and three 6s among her results said: “I am over the moon. I wasn’t expecting this result. I am really happy and I am not the only one to exceed my expectations but my friends did too.”
Amaal, who achieved one 9, two 8s, four 7s and an A grade among her results said: “It feels surreal. Your entire year is working up to this day. Now we have got what we wanted.”
Other notable individual successes at the academy include:
- Melany started at the academy with no English in 2012 and has secured an excellent set of GCSE results, with a good pass in all subjects and Science, French, Spanish, Maths all at Grade 7-9 (equivalent to an A-A* under the old system).
- Safa achieved six Grade 9s, three Grade 8s and one A*. She said of her excellent results, “I achieved grades I didn’t think I would” and that the advice she would give to other students studying for their GCSE examinations is to “trust your teachers and do what they tell you to do”.
- Mia secured an excellent set of results, including a Grade 9 for English Literature. A keen student of music and drama, she will be continuing her studies at the prestigious Brit School.
“We are thrilled to be celebrating a record set of results at our academy," said Principal Rebecca Iles-Smith (pictured above left). "Our girls have performed fantastically well across all subjects, including the demanding EBacc. I am so proud of what they have achieved and I look forward to following their progress in the coming years."