Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Exam Results 2018
Staff and students at Harris Academy Bermondsey celebrated record GCSE results in 2018.
- We achieved a Progress 8 score of 0.91, which puts us in the top 3% of schools in England for pupil progress.
- Our Attainment 8 score was 53.3.
- 42% of students achieved a Level 5 or above in English and Maths.
- 49% of students achieved at the demanding English Baccalaureate with at least a grade 4, compared to 42% last summer. 100% of students entered the EBacc.
- Under the new system, passes are marked on a scale of Grade 9 (equivalent to an A**) to Grade 4 (equivalent to a C). 40% of girls achieved at least one of the top Grades 8 or 9. Over a quarter of students secured at least one Grade 9.
- 93% of students stayed in education or went into employment.
Lilly was among only a few students in the country to have achieved 8 or more of the new ‘super’ Grade 9s. Congratulations are also due Mistura, who achieved seven grade 9s. Mistura said: “I am overwhelmed. I exceeded my expectations of myself. Hard work pays off.”
Lilly added: “I am shocked and proud of my results. They mean I can go on to study the subjects I want to. I have achieved these results through lots of revision, resilience and not giving up.”
Naomi, who achieved three Grade 8s, one 7 and three 6s among her results said: “I am over the moon. I wasn’t expecting this result. I am really happy and I am not the only one to exceed my expectations but my friends did too.”
Amaal, who achieved one 9, two 8s, four 7s and an A grade among her results said: “It feels surreal. Your entire year is working up to this day. Now we have got what we wanted.”
Other notable individual successes at the academy include:
- Melany started at the academy with no English in 2012 and has secured an excellent set of GCSE results, with a good pass in all subjects and Science, French, Spanish, Maths all at Grade 7-9 (equivalent to an A-A* under the old system).
- Safa achieved six Grade 9s, three Grade 8s and one A*. She said of her excellent results, “I achieved grades I didn’t think I would” and that the advice she would give to other students studying for their GCSE examinations is to “trust your teachers and do what they tell you to do”.
- Mia secured an excellent set of results, including a Grade 9 for English Literature. A keen student of music and drama, she will be continuing her studies at the prestigious Brit School.
“We are thrilled to be celebrating a record set of results at our academy," said Principal Rebecca Iles-Smith (pictured above left). "Our girls have performed fantastically well across all subjects, including the demanding EBacc. I am so proud of what they have achieved and I look forward to following their progress in the coming years."